Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Address to Congress II

Great minds think alike.  I was sitting here thinking, "I should post about Obama."  DH beat me to it.

I'm beginning to understand why Republicans are so gay for Reagan.  His accomplishments do not jibe with the accolades Repubs throw on him but if Obama is as much like him as people say, (in the sense that he's able to speak to the other side and gain their confidence) I get it.  Regardless of how succesful we are on what Obama outlined last night, people get the sense that he respects them and that he's trying (which is almost good enough when you consider he's smarter and more accomplished than 99.x% of the American populace).  That will count for a lot.  Both in terms of getting reelected, and in how history remembers him.  The contrast is starker because contemporary Republicans insists on talking to us like children or attacking very transparent straw men.  WE GET IT, paying for your neighbors mortgage.  Yes, normally that's bad,  but right now we're fending off a crisis.  

What I saw last night from Obama is what I remembered about the 2004 DNC speech.  Unfortunately the price of campaigning means everything has to be spoken to through partisan and then swing voter filters.  Last night was the first time in a long time I felt he had NO party affiliation.