Sunday, January 18, 2009

MTP Jan 18 2008

I watched MTP but wasn't as struck by Rahm's non-answers as DH.  But perhaps I didn't watch closely enough (I think I was multitasking at the time).  What I was struck by was Tavis Smiley's non-acceptance of his increased marginilization.  I'm really glad I grabbed breakfast by myself this morning because I read the Atlantic while eating.  I came across Ambinder's article that David Gregory quoted from.  

What Gregory didn't mention, but was the subject of some "impolite" dinner conversation I had a month or so ago (religion not sex), were the examples of corrupt black preachers trying to extort Obama throughout the campaign.  State Senator (and pastor) Darrell Jackson (SC) and Anthony Evans pastor of the Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship and talk radio host.  The article didn't mention but you can check out for yourself Creflo Dollar (under investigation by the Senate) and there's a local pastor in Chicago (his name eludes me) that has a bodyguard detail.  What exactly does a man of god need a bodyguard detail for? 

Sorry to go into a mini tangent about black preachers (although Pat Robertson has a nice in home gym facility that was paid for by someone, so I don't mean to single out or discriminate) I'll have to dedicate a post about that at some time.  They occupy a similar place in the black community as Tavis, Roland Martin, Tom Joyner so that's why I thought of it.  My point was that Jesse-"wanna cut his nuts off"- Jackson and Tavis Smiley and their ilk are threatened by Obama.  His success and his message cut into the blacks-as-victim narrative and they have been relegated to second tier status.  Smiley on MTP clearly did not answer Gregory's question in the context to which it was asked.  He didn't answer it because he doesn't want to admit that if black people have to side with Barack-"you're not a victim, hope and change"-Obama and Tavis Smiley, they choose Obama overwhelmingly.  Know your role Tavis.