Monday, April 13, 2009

Computer Update

Apologies for not posting in a while.  Work has been keeping me busy.  But I'm on the road half this week so I have no distractions in my otel room.  My options are 1) work 2) post 3) read.  So I decided to post.  

So the graphics card being in the "wrong" slot was not the issue.  I installed service pack 2, which is beta, that's not the issue.  I started running prime95, it ran fine albeit a little hot.  Until I reinstalled the heatsink and now it runs solid. I guess I have to just live with the random crashing.  Although for some odd reason my system stability has risen from 1.xx to 4.xx in the last few days.  Some of that is due to me running the computer and then not doing anything on it. Anyway...

DH, it is not cheaper to build a computer.  I know we thought that back in the day, and maybe it was, but do not fool yourself.  Even if you put together a "reasonably" priced rig that has good specs, you're paying more than Dell might do it for.  What you get is piece of mind.  If you buy a machine from Dell that is going to have some basic gaming specs, they may throw some junk RAM in there.  Or the day may come when you find it necessary to overclock your machine.  The quality of the components will be the difference between overclocking fun and a $1,100 paper weight.  You also know that from the jump, there is no bullshit on your machine because you installed Windows clean.  One of the reason why Dell can build cheaper than you can (despite economies of scale) is becasue software developers pay them to put dumb apps on your machine in hopes that you'll use them and subscribe to shit.  That subsidizes the cost of the machine so even if you were able to get Dell prices on components (and you might sometimes if you buy from newegg.com) they can undercut the that because they got an extra $200 a mahcine for the myriad of shit.exe that's dumped on your machine.  

Peace...